PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The full story from start to end
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2003, 14:34
Bovey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lawmaker,

One other thing PP seems to omit on every single post he ever makes is that he would have found it a lot more difficult training if he had been on his own, financially and emotionally. He had tremendous support from myself from when he left work to when he needed another £15K to pay for the upgrade, plus I was there paying his mortgage and bills etc.

I do know a number of people that started off training with a supportive partner and had to complete it without one.

I also know plenty of pilots that at the point of them starting an airline job owe at least £30K to their parents/ bank / overdraft/ re-mortgage, etc.

One cannot justify the money it takes to pay for the licence without knowing if there is anything at the end to repay the debts and have a successful airline career. I think the figures are for every pilot that trains only 10% move on to successful airline careers so statistically the odds are against you.

However if you believe you can do it then you have to go with your gut instinct and believe that you are going to achieve your goal. It takes as much effort in getting a job as it does to get the licence, believe me there are not many airline pilots that have had a smooth ride into an airline career. But rest assured if you don't do it, it will probably be one of the biggest regrets of your life. The old saying 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' is completely true and if you want life without risk then I would stay being a lawyer (no offence intended).

In any event I wish you and all of the other people out their training to be pilots all the luck in the world and to remember that when you think you have revised enough for exams, and practised enough of your flying and are absolutely exhaused mentally then you need to do it some more.

With kind regards.

Bovey