PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - refusing access to class D airspace?!?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2003, 14:27
Final 3 Greens

Just a Few

I see your point in your particular case.

Just out of interest, what airspace is above you? If you have instrument traffic passing over the NDB at circa 1400' (assuming a 3 degree glide) who 'owns' 2400 up? (and can't aircraft be routed there, or is it TMA?)

As I said in an earlier post I don't blame controllers for the way the system works, but experience of the US does show that creative thinking can be applied safely to the benefit of all.

The LAX VFR corridor worked very well, with traffic routing well above the airport approach and departure area.... and the LA basin is pretty busy, rather more so than the average class D airfield in the UK. (It did require pilots to observe the rules and transgressions resulted in firm action.)

Although this may sound astonishing to you, I did get an invite en route from a controller to visit VFR in an Arrow "I might have to hold you for 20-30 minutes to fit you into the sequence because your airspeed is a bit slow, but you are very welcome" Then again, 4 parallel runways do give you lots of options if your mind is focused on making something happen. I confess to bottling the opportunity!

But then again, AOPA (US) are very large and strong pressure group with a determination to represent their members in a way that is most un-British (no slight to AOPA UK intended here, its a much smaller organization in a different environment.)

Last edited by Final 3 Greens; 10th Jul 2003 at 14:44.