PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire warnings - an intellectual debate on this contentious subject
Old 16th Jan 2016, 12:35
Cornish Jack

Received 162 Likes on 103 Posts
Fascinating discussion.
Real life situation some (many) years back.
Wessex returning from long winter detachment 3 days pre Xmas. Penultimate leg Valkenberg to Manston. Wx crap, low cloud, strong winds, icing (no Anti-icing). I suggest routing via short crossing Calais - Dover-ish. Capt says NO! will go Hook of Holland - N Foreland. On startup, No 1 OK but No 2 starts to overtemp as the S S lever comes up to the 'dwell'. Same result with a couple of tries, so Capt leaves lever at start of temp rise position and says we'll go as is. Leave land at H of H and proceed low level over a 'boiling' sea. Approx halfway and Capt's hands operating like one-armed paper-hanger followed by hollow thump noise and glaring red light on panel. Nothing heard on my side i/c so ask Capt 'what's up' to be told No2 eng fire indication and bottle already fired. Get out FRCs and run drill with last line "Land at nearest available" (or something similar). Too low for radio contact initially but have to 'persuade' Capt that a "Mayday" might be appropriate!! Call made eventually and Manston scrambled to find us - very embarrassing as ex-student on duty crew!! Red light remains on and we proceed, eventually sighting N Foreland. Suggest to Capt that the in-view sportsfield on the cliff top would be a good idea but had to 'forcefully' argue case for that as against proceeding to Manston. Landing in sportsfield accomplished - red light was caused by fire wire being damaged by cowling closure.
Any comments would be welcome but worth mentioning that there were other, unrelated problems. ... On the previous day's leg into Valkenberg, similar weather, and needing to bypass Schipol, I had asked for an en-route landing on an island on the east of the Zuider Zee to check navigation (Yep, I was LOST!!) All sorted , but inbound to V'berg we were told to report to Ops where we were told that we had landed at the Dutch Foot-and-Mouth Research station and were, therefore, potentially contaminated!! UK's AG and Fish were not amused and had us slated for some 6 weeks isolation on return!
As said above, comments welcome.