PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paging, or Virtual memory, is it wearing out my SSD?
Old 15th Jan 2016, 21:38
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I remember standing in Compuadd or some such store in Texas and agonizing over the OEM pack 64 or 32 bit W7. I went for the lesser as in those days people were moaning about old software not running. I came home with the 32. Buggah.

I put the motherboard and disk in me bags when I came home and scrapped the case. Here, I re-cased and reloaded the OS onto the SSD. MS, bless them, agreed the change and even knew how many seats my MS Office had left unloaded. One was as taken aback as impressed. The odd thing is, I also bought home my Vaio i7, with 8 gigs, but never took to it. Something about the screen tone I've never resolved and even cleaning out the brass heat exchanger fitments I was never sure about hunting fan speeds.

Note: W10 upgrade on the PC left me with an oddly poor picture on the LG 1440 screen. Footling with the gamma seems to have fixed that, but going over to the Sony, there is not the same menus offered.

Anyway, I'm stuck with 3-point-something gigs usable on 32 bit. Given that I'm a kind of wandering Nomad, I really must get rid of big boxes. Guess it's time to say goodbye to PCs. It seems the rest of the world is, taking the worldwide drop in sales as a guide.

A compromise between PC and Laptops seems to be little black boxes that cost a lot. Bewilderingly clever, but may as well have a laptop.

My must haves: My keyboard, even if the letters are worn off. Think a sentence and it appears on the screen as though by magic. Can't be doing with silly laptop keyboards, or Giant's Causeway cubes to rattle out words.

Screen res of 1440 to 1600. My Asus in Texas needed a screen the size of a wall to see the detail. I need to edit books, not enter into Avatar reality.

Reading my own words. There must be a huge number of people like me. Well, okay, not like me, but that like power without battles going on in castles. I do not want a Gatling gun instead of an arm, and do not want to spent eternity creeping around stone walls in infinite cerebral constructs.