PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado Replacement
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2016, 20:10
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it does, technically, but you need to have a means of telling it where the Q is and, if necessary, data linking that to the mx. You could give it all the gen pre-launch, but you've got a big uncertainty box, which would be dangerous close in with friendlies close by.
OK, I'm confused. It seems from the above statement that the HOBS reference applies only to a close-in fight and does not apply to a medium range fight? Since LO was included in the original statement, I assumed (wrongly?) that this was a fight where LO would be a factor. And in a post merge fight, LO would seem to have significantly reduced value. It seems to me that the F-35's major advantages are in the pre-merge realm and would be where the pilot would try to keep the fight.

On the other hand, I understand that F-35 has very low frontal IR signature, lower even than F-22. Is it low enough to prevent an adversary from taking a frontal shot with an IR missile? I don't know. But if so, then that would seem to be a significant advantage. Without an IR HOBS missile the F-35 would be at a disadvantage offensively post merge, but if it can't be shot upon from the front with an IR missile, it could use that to disengage at the merge and then maneuver to take a longer range shot with an RF missile, where it enjoys its biggest advantage.