PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation dependency stripped of political correctness.
Old 15th Jan 2016, 18:09
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plus of course even a cursory knowledge of the Apollo landing would show that the pilot (Aldrin?) nearly screwed it up by being human. He messed with the computer when he should not have according to SOP and caused it buffer overrun failures.

Was Tommy Lee Jones (Space Cowboys) thinking he was really Buzz Aldrin? Shame on him.

Everybody keeps mentioning the Hudson. I guess it was the red carpet ride around the world's media. Time to make a decision, time to execute it. Everybody things it was a great day for human over computer perhaps because it was an Airbus. I wonder the reaction if it had been a simple basic B738.
Oh wait. The bird strike on short finals at CIA, B738, engine rundown, attempted GA by F/O PF, power loss on other engine, captain took control and planted it on the runway. Everyone survived, but no TV video. Damn. No time to think, just react instinctively.
Think what might have happened with another captain onboard. G/A over S.E. Rome, power loss on both engines. The smoking hole does not bare thinking about. Brilliant 'save the day' experienced human intervention. The captain lives in obscurity. Hundreds just live never realising.