PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones threatening commercial a/c?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2016, 14:02
Sorry Dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A drone capable of transporting one person. Sets you back about $200.000 but hey, it is so easy to fly that any chopper pilot should fear for his job.
I think chopper pilots everywhere can breathe a sigh of relief... I read a few articles about it and the company that makes it has yet to put forth much in the way of operation and control information and even video of it transporting a person is limited to shots of a few seconds.
Basically there are a lot more question than answers right now. As cool as the concept is, I'm guessing there is a truckload of development still left as there are still obvious safety issues such as lack of guards for finger eating blades and the already mentioned auto rotation. Or the same questions that perplexes fixed wing auto flight such as AI capable of see and avoid... and the bit about it automatically conversing with ATC? Ha! I'd like to listen to that conversation to JFK controllers as they machine gun out ,"Attention, drone delta uniform mike one one, ya have traffic on yer left, hold-er position." ...and then ... in soft lady voice that all automated phone menu have ,"I'm sorry [pause] I could not quite understand that, let's try that again. Would you please repeat that last phrase, [pause]or if you like, please wait a moment to speak directly to the operator."