PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation dependency stripped of political correctness.
Old 15th Jan 2016, 09:29
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Oh dear. Got out the wrong side of the bed?

Since you quoted NASA - saying that their computer system would have totally coped with the Sioux City incident - I thought I would give you an example where a NASA computer got it very wrong. It did so because the wrong data - or insufficient data - had been loaded into it, (by humans). When it got to a few ?hundred feet above the moon, the pilots could see that the computer was about to do the wrong thing so they intervened.

The point I am trying to get across is that no matter how complicated and powerful a computer might be, it will still be built and programmed by humans, and the actions it takes will have been decided by humans. Humans are therefore still involved and humans make mistakes.

Your point of view seems to be based on an assumption that there wil never be any manufacturing or programmimg errors in a computer. I am challenging that point of view. You will always need humans to intervene if it all goes wrong.

Thank you for calling me ignorant, how nice. Do you know how computers work? Have you been trained in electronics,? Have you ever programmed a computer? (I can say yes to all three - and I am also an Airbus pilot approaching 10,000 hours TT, so I do have some experience in this area).

Last edited by Uplinker; 15th Jan 2016 at 09:53.