PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas tops airline safety rankings
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2016, 06:32
framer

Received 479 Likes on 129 Posts
I like the way Derfred differentiated between safety systems and a safety culture.
Nice work.
A safety culture never sits still, it is always either getting better or getting worse.
It is heavily influenced by only 5-10% of the most senior operational people. They in turn are influenced by their non operational leaders. If the most influential operational people ( read instructors and checkies) have moral fibre they will resist while under the influence of poor management and persivere until good management arrives on the scene.
I think this is what has happened at QF. The professional integrity of the top operational folk has managed to outlast dubious management decisions thereby maintaining a very high level of safety within the old airline.
I think QF has maintained it's position within the Airline world because of the dedication of its front line, high level operational staff. Because of this, the young folk coming through will be able to do the same.
As for the rating.........none of these folk give a toss. They are too busy maintaining standards.