PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation dependency stripped of political correctness.
Old 14th Jan 2016, 16:42
FDMII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost reduction the primary reason?
In a word, yes I tend to think so. But I wouldn't call such a process an "amoral calculation", (Vaughn, The Challenger Launch Decision), in the sense that the risk was understood but the economic goals outweighed the perceived risks. Amoral calculation is perhaps too blunt a term. Automation makes sense as presently implemented; what the regulator and the industry have each left as a sidebar and largely unaddressed is the long-term effects upon highly-skilled human contributions to the safety of flight.

For most legacy carriers, the payroll alone for flight crews is second only to fuel costs, (debatable today - with both having plummetted over the differing periods of time, it's perhaps a toss-up which is lower, but they're not third or fourth). The industry is finding the pipelines drying up and autonomous flight provides an enticement not previously, realistically available.

As I have posted in earlier contributions, this is something like aviation's "Turing test"; there are obvious impediments to the notion of autonomous flight, the first being the thinking that someone on the ground writing software and firmware is somehow equal-to/better-than someone in the cockpit who is highly-trained, experienced, human and there, (with skin in the game).

These impediments are, in my (untrained/inexperienced in AI) eye, presently insurmountable but if one accepts that the fatal accident rate may climb "acceptably", (this is a perception/insurance/social issue, not a technical issue), then trials and targeted implementation may not be insurmountable while the concept is established towards "normal".

Some may accept that self-parking cars, UAVs and the like are "equivalents" to these goals; I think such perceptions are just magical thinking, not that dreaming is bad, but in aviation, there are no such things as sky-hooks, even in imaginative solutions to the problems of flight.

Airlines don't care about risk,
Well, of course they do care, a lot, and put tons of money behind that caring but I do understand what you're saying; the costs involved as a result of failing to care puts airlines out of business. We don't have to look far for examples.