PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado Replacement
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2016, 14:03
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OK:

I accept your statement that I'm correct on item 3. Of course I and other skeptics have been saying this for years, based on physical comparisons to other aircraft, with the enthusiasts and marketeers loudly claiming we were wrong.

Likewise, the band-dependent bit, now written off as old hat ("covered over and over again") was raised years ago, and roundly dismissed, by those of us who could see what was being developed in Russia and China, as was the potential of IRST. Also, I didn't say that stealth was not valid; I said that F-35 stealth is not valid in this case, which is to provide A2A dominance (first look/shot/kill) over a contemporary adversary. (F-22-versus-Su-27 is a different kettle of fish.)

As for HOBS - if there is a Secret Squirrel AAM that comes off the internal launcher and schwacks anything within 360-deg., cool. But to say I'm skeptical of anyone playing the "it's secret" card is an understatement, because there is no historical precedent, that I know of, for a nonblack aircraft in peacetime to have had a major capability that was kept secret through service entry.