PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2016, 12:20
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cessnapete
Genghis
Please tell me what rules you would require to stop an aircraft in distress impacting "innocent victims " in the surrounding countryside for example during the Farnborough Air Show.
What you are asking is completely unrealistic. Complete safety is only possible if you ban displays.
Complete safety is only possible if you ban all aviation, but then people will die from something else.

However, complete safety as a fictional construct is a necessary tool in aviation.

It could, perhaps, start by not having a display line which puts energy vectors along a busy public road.

Farnborough is a red herring, because the majority of it is a trade show with low energy controlled displays - just a bit of "bread and circuses" for the general public bolted on the end. However, it is an entirely fair question if you ask it about Fairford with 50,000 legit visitors per day and more sat on surrounding roads and fields.

Basically I think that careful analysis is needed to place display lines and consequent velocity vectors where they co-incide with groups of people as little as possible. Yes - this may mean that some sites just aren't suitable for airshows and that needs to be accepted. The AAIB interrim report suggests that that was inadequately the case at Shoreham - the full report of course may say something different, although somehow I doubt it.

G