PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Positioning Pilots
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2016, 08:19
BBK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the OP was, IMHO, just pooh stirring and indulging in RYR bashing. I'm no fan of some of their business practices as it relates to the working conditions of professional pilots but I've flown with enough ex RYR guys to know it's not all bad either.

The issue of positioning/commuting is, I suspect, a grey area in RYR. However, I realise that a lot of commuters at RYR are probably doing so out of necessity. They are not commuters through choice as you might find at BA and VS for example. If the company has a way of allowing that that makes it easier for them then who am I, or anyone else, to criticise.

The posts I've found really annoying are the ones about airside access ie. the "having an airport ID does not confer access etc" brigade.

The use of an ID, in this context, if it is allowed by the airport/DfT is just a means to avoid the potentially longer queues in the public screening areas. The end result will be the same as the commuting (positioning) pilot will end up airside at the gate. Of course if he/she used their ID to access the airport when not traveling they would, quite rightly, lose their ID if caught. Also, bear in mind that whichever way you get airside the process is the same in terms of screening.

In fact a few years ago BALPA agreed a protocol with the DfT that commuting and positioning crews could use the staff search areas subject to certain caveats. From memory I believe that one could only do so within 24 hours of a duty and if requested would need to show your roster if asked to do so. However, when I tried to do so I got a "sorry mate, we ain't heard about this". At the time I emailed the AVSEC chap at BALPA and he said this airport had signed up to the agreement.

Anyway, just my two penn'orth.

BBK