PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Positioning Pilots
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2016, 17:10
xollob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avenger

Why the OP picked on FR is a mystery and all this FTL stuff is smoke and mirrors to disguise a FR bash that's clearly not working and of little interest to " fellow pilots"
I work for another airline and find this blatant abuse of FTL's very relevant, any pilot from any airline should also find it concerning. It's not an FR bash, but a topic that is being discussed about a common practise within FR. It wouldn't happen in the outfit I or other colleagues work for because their TU would be all over that and simply pilots wouldn't operate it if its not legal, safe in the knowledge they are protecting their licences and free from persecution.

This may well be a wide spread practise (positioning on rest days - not commuting and it not being recorded as duty period) in other airlines, that would be equally as bad, if you know of other airlines who do this also please share, only one I know of is FR. This will become if it isn't already an issue under EASA as it clearly states a pilot can only have one home base, so some of the sharp practise that certain other European operators used to do in the same way may not be undertaken (times in taxis counting as rest periods etc).

Why do I find it all very relevant, well because all of our employers seem to have an aspiration to strive to the lowest common denominator, if an outfit is getting away with something that is saving them money you can bet any other employer must be thinking "would be good if we could do that" and then T&C's come under attack. I liken it to a rampant disease that starts in your little toe can spread very quickly to other parts of the body unless you amputate it or get some very strong medication.

Perhaps you can explain why you believe pilots being required to undertake positioning duties in their rest periods/days off is smoke and mirrors and not a breach of FTL's please ?