PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A good reminder to always treat props as 'live'
Old 13th Jan 2016, 08:26
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You were lucky the bendix didn't engage. In your case it sounds like the bendix drive pin may have sheared.
I have had similar in an Islander and there was no-way you could safely swing it with the starter bendix engaged. In the event I removed and probably replaced the starter, I can't recall swinging the prop to get the start. Again I was in the wops but as a LAME/CPL I was being paid for the skills anyway.

Most pilots can't get their head around the left mag only selected on for a start, well for hand propping. You need to know the type of ignition boosters you have fitted, ie the number of impulse couplings or shower of sparks etc.
No-one needs to be swinging a prop with an advanced mag still live.
Anyone even contemplating swinging a prop has to be confident only the retarded spark is active !
If you can't guarantee that then only a mug would be touching the prop blades. I have heard some rationale that the slow spinning mag doesn't produce enough of a spark to be an issue.... 24 degrees before TDC is a long way to go all the same. The prop WILL come back..
(If that spark proved to be sufficient).

Some Islanders and Trislanders still have the couplings, and generally on the left mag.

Last edited by baron_beeza; 13th Jan 2016 at 12:00.