PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2016, 07:30
Tim00

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Danny,

Sorry, I don't know whether they were a crew, or just a group of friends. Dad was operational from mid 1941 & completed his tour in I think April '42. I've a couple of similar pics where they are clearly relaxing on a warm day, so not quite sure when it was taken. I assume the photo came into his possession from someone else; the notes on the reverse aren't my parents' writing, apart from "only survivor" which I think is mum's.

He'd just joined the Swansea police on the outbreak of war, & on a whim, joined the RAF one lunch time. My grandparents were most upset I gather, since he'd left a reserved occupation. Did a tour on Hampdens, Manchesters & Lancs, and walked away from a Hampden crash at Woodhall Spa caused by icing, I think when setting off to mine or bomb the Scharnhorst during the channel dash.

I have his post-war log, but sadly the wartime one was lost in a fire at Iwakuni in Japan when he was serving there just after the war. I applied for his service record, but it's a bit cryptic.

Last edited by Tim00; 13th Jan 2016 at 20:46. Reason: Spelling