PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last AF B747 PAX flight
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2016, 11:50
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Missed or Perhaps Just a Little

I heard about this; have/had zero desire to ride the last one. Nope.
In the very early 70s - guessing late 1971 or so?) I rode an AF B742 from CDG to Chicago, via Montreal. Good seat, ho-hum service and AF did their very best to send my bags to Tokyo. (This was long before I learned to fly, but lesson-learned.)
For the return trip a few weeks later, reversing the same route, I wore a crisp uniform and sent some impressive credentials to the flight deck via the purser; May I visit? The Capt. was about to send me back to my seat, but I was bold. "If I keep my mouth shut, may I remain in this jump seat, Sir, until we arrive?" After glances all around the three-man crew, I remained butt-parked in the jump seat behind his and until we were gated and shutdown. The experience sold be on flying, I've never looked back and more than a bit obviously, that kind of experience cannot repeat itself in this century. If there was a downside to the entire experience it may have been missing my "AF Coach Breakfast," as we were getting closer to CDG. Even in 1971, when interline competition was still based on such simple things as Food and Service, AF flunked. (After a modest 0630 French airport snack, I finished my trip a few hours later.) Despite some very nice paychecks, nothing will ever match that that return trip or the Capt.s' courtesy. If anyone wonders, I spoke not a word unless first spoken to. He was a seriously nice fellow, perhaps recognized a newbie in his cockpit, and allowed me to remain. Wow!