PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Positioning Pilots
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2016, 09:36
Wageslave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I recall these contracts were introduced some 5-6 years ago and the carrot for being "unbased" was a pretty high salary for a loco with most if not almost all based on sector pay and on a self employed basis so no tax, welfare, pension, holidays, sick pay or anything else. In conversation with mates in the company it seems that sometimes you could be in the remote base for a week, sometimes only a day or two and then move to another during the working week necessitating a return from yet another place and change in hotac. All positioning hotac and transfers/transport were the contractor's own responsibility.
Imagine the amount of work involved (on days "off") not only planning the positioning flights but also arranging your own accommodation and working out transport from there to the airport and back every day!
This is why the rest of the industry was aghast at the idea - hardly surprisingly. Have I got the details about right, anyone?

I know a few Bods based in GRO have to operate from BCN during the Winter months, I "assume" that is with some degree of consent on their part ? but it may be the "consent" has been given as the alternative offered was staying at home & earning diddly squat from Oct-Apr.
Indeed, the "consent" was either change base with no doubt accom at your own expense or go several months on no pay.

Forget raising this with the IAA. They're a paper tiger (well, paper hamster) at best and anyway they sanctioned it in the first place so can't go back on that decision - and are so hand in glove with the company they'd do nothing to upset them.

You'd need to start a class action in the courts - and with no union because the company won't tolerate one the pilots are out on their own and just grateful to have a job, something widely believed likely to disappear if they cause any "trouble".

it's a