PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Positioning Pilots
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2016, 00:10
xollob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What an interesting discussion, I don't work for FR but have to say I broke it down into captplaystations latest post observations also.

The commuting thing I see as each to their own, happens in probably most airlines, so long as done to achieve sensible rest period prior to operating don't see the excitement.

The airside ID thing and what channel to use, I can't get overly excited about it, who cares !

What does irk me though (for the FR guys) if I have understood correctly is that you have to travel in your own time to start a series of duties which is at a base other than your "on paper" home base, is that correct ? Then surely that is simply a duty requirement at the behest of your employer (whoever that may be) which therefore invalidates said day off as a day off for the purposes of ensuring adequate legal days off are provided ? I apologise if I have misinterpreted and this last paragraph is incorrect.

As I understand it every airline governed by EU regulations has a requirement to record any duty on behalf of the employer as duty (flight, positioning, standby etc etc) appropriately and failing to do so is failing to comply with FTL's.

If this is indeed happening can't all FR pilots simply file an MOR with the Relevant authority /chirp and escalating this to the point where an ops inspector for the relevant country/authority has to act ? (Or find a way to do this through a chosen body without name to avoid persecution ?)

Surely the goal would be that all positioning at the behest of the company becomes included in rostered "5 days on" period thus producing a win for the pilots and a win for the customers as the FR pilots are then being properly protected by the relevant EASA FTL's ? Providing a better lifestyle for pilots, more rested pilots for the operation and a requirement for more pilots as part of the "5 on" period is now taken by positioning time, thus driving the company to provide more crew at relevant bases (more opportunities for people to have the base they want) instead of paying people to position and stay in hotels ?

Hard hat on preparing for incoming. I don't see it as anyone trying to screw anyone, other than an employer who seems to have a unique interpretation of what constitutes a "duty" ? I apologise if FR do not actually expect people to position themselves to start a series of duties from anything other then their nominated home base in their rest periods/days off.