PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mismanagement of automation
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2016, 17:37
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Geoffers - I think the override concept for 'fly through' is exactly what is intended - if the AP is flying the aircraft you would normally monitor it and let it do its job, but if it does something you don't like or rapid alteration of the flight path is required, the pilot can always move the controls to achieve this without having to disengage the upper modes. Until we get to fly by wire with no physical connection between controls and flying surfaces then this seems the way to go on helos.

HC
For me the most important thing is to be able to use the aircraft's equipment optimally to have it fly the approach whilst you sit back and see the big picture. In the highly unlikely event that you have to fly a manual ILS, that is a backup skill that you have to be able to get by with. So for me, most of the time and effort should be spent on the former, and it should demonstrated to a high standard. For the latter you just have to survive.
how do you demonstrate, to a high standard, the aircraft's ability to fly itself - it simply does what you have asked by pushing some buttons...or is there a special high standard way of pushing those buttons?

No, I never flew with a QHI.
ahhhh,, now I understand