PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mismanagement of automation
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2016, 15:27
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same again

One of the reasons for starting this thread was to put this issue 'out there' for clarification.

The argument begins with what the manufacturer recommends in his primary literature. The Flight Manual is not totally clear on this subject but the language chosen may give some credence to the idea that the intentions were for the aircraft to be flown 'hands-off' using the ATT mode in combination with any FD mode required. It can then be 'manoeuvred' by the pilot in SAS mode by using the FTR button for short term manoeuvres or by selecting SAS mode on the GCP for longer periods of manoeuvring. It then says that the pilot can at all times 'override' the system and fly as required. I take this to be a reference to the 'fly-through' procedure. The word 'override' does seem to imply that it is not the normal or preferred technique.

I detect in my day to day relationship with those attending our school that there are those that elect to fly using 'fly-through' as a 'primarsy'means of flying. I don't believe this is correct and others from the S92 and EC225 world have reported similar problems of 'misuse'.

We definitely need some words of wisdom from the OEM's. Let's hope the FCOM's will be with us soon.

G.

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 11th Jan 2016 at 16:18.