PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair and Brookfield in the news again
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2016, 02:20
Phileas Fogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps a Europe-wide multi-airline strike at all those airlines where there are contract/self-employed/non-airline-employee pilots would create enough attention for the issue to be properly looked at.
There are many genuine reasons why airlines will utilise agency contract personnel, just one example is many Italian airlines, employment legislation, laying personnel off, notice periods etc., hell if I, and many of us here, were the Chief Executive of an Italian Airline we'd be utilising agency contract personnel also.

I worked for a UK DC10 operator back in the 70's, the (then) worldwide DC10 grounding cost the company millions, all employed crew sitting at home on full salary, by comparison the volcanic ash cloud over Europe the other year, I don't know but I can imagine which personnel were the first to be left sitting at home, the 'pay as you fly' contract personnel and, again, if I, and many of us here, were the airline Chief Executive we'd do exactly the same also.

In a previous life I worked for a cargo operator, all of a sudden we acquired a passenger wide-body for a summer long contract, we had no cabin services infrastructure whatsoever, we needed contract personnel just to man the contract, were we wrong to utilise such contract personnel?

To utilise a modest proportion of contract personnel is wise given the nature of the operation, it's the operators that extract the urine that need to be clamped down on, and as for:

politicians who are completely uninterested in their constituent's situation within the industry
Well they'll likely be too preoccupied fiddling their expenses and taxes to worry about other parties doing pretty much the same as they are!