PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation dependency stripped of political correctness.
Old 10th Jan 2016, 10:09
1201alarm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I never made a statistic, if I would have to make an educated guess (as Clooney had to do when he faced st. peter ) I would say all the big ones in north america have a strong focus on piloting skills and let pilots go fully manual. Same can be said for Lufthansa Group. I also observed the same on AF/KLM group lately, although it might take time on the french side to become the norm. EJ seem to be relaxed about automatics off at appropriate times from what I hear, don't know about BA and RYR. The charter carriers in Europe could not function without automatics off.

I would guess all these mentioned above together make more than 50% of worldwide commercial annual movements.

Then the chinese seem to put emphasize on manual skills in their checkrides, don't know how they handle it in daily ops though.

It is a slow process, and such discussions as we have here will continue to remain important to spread the word. But my impression is definitively that we have turned the tide and the message is coming through.