PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Positioning Pilots
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2016, 06:38
PENKO

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Checklist Charlie, if an employee chooses out of his own free will to commute, then why would the employer be liable for his insurance? I never felt that I donated my free time to the company. It was always my decision not to live near base and always took full ownership of my commuting. I do think the employer should do their best to facilitate commuting if their own policies (base closing/opening/commands) tend to displace people.

As for private insurances, as far as I know 'commuting' is not one of the exclusion grounds for your loss of license cover, but if you have any indication that this is indeed the case, please let us know. I'll double check the small print. Anyway, commuters tend to be on the road less than their 'locally' based colleagues, I see no higher risk for the LOL-insurer. Travel insurance can be a bit more tricky though, but some insurers are happy to insure your commuting for a small surcharge. Same goes for your car insurance if you keep your car based at a foreign airport. It took a bit of shopping around but I found an insurer that was happy to cover my car all over Europe for no surcharge. And when the inevitable damage occurred they paid out with no questions asked.

Health insurance should be no problem at all for most commuters, they will be well acquainted with the E106 form (or whatever it is called these days).

Last edited by PENKO; 10th Jan 2016 at 06:51.