PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an instructor when you already have experience.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 22:46
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Dead right - the MOS doesn't appear to be particularly useful for anything except listing a bunch of topics 'someone' thinks should be covered when teaching or learning a particular skill, but without any content.

To me, it comes across as basically a cop-out - we'll tell you broadly what to teach but how you achieve it is up to you. No standardisation of techniques or even suggestions as to the best way to do things.

We don't have to all do the same, and there are many ways of achieving good outcomes when it comes to getting things done airborne, so prescriptive direction isn't all that good, but with all this money spent in producing the new order it would have been nice to see the majority of it focussed on distilling years of hard-earned lessons into a really good guts guide to what works and how to teach it.

PS back on topic after I got carried away! Experienced instructors, just what we need I reckon, particularly if you get some enjoyment from passing on what you've learnt and helping someone else realise their dreams. It can get a bit samey sometimes, but each student is a different person who learns a bit differently, so it's never really the same day twice; and if as noted above there's not a lot of good guidance from things like the MOS, it falls to instructors to fill in the blanks from their own experience, so if you have a fair whack of it you're doing the industry a favour by passing some of it on.