PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Change needed in North American ATC
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2016, 19:21
AC560

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience outside the US is limited to Canada and the Caribbean but I have to say I really don't see what the issue is with Airline XYZ cleared to land #2 following an A320.

As West Coast points out unless ATC is assured separation in his mind and he is assured you are clear in your mind that you have separation visually by accepting the clearance. There is nothing that stops you from saying "traffic not in sight" or something to the effect and they work with you on next steps.

I can appreciate it isn't compliant with ICAO but I really don't get the safety implications. There are something like 50 million tower operations a year in the US and the last incident somewhat related to the topic I can think of was in LA 25yrs ago (USAir/Skywest).

English proficiency or propensity to use the local language mixed with English on frequency is a lot more dangerous to me than some minor ICAO differences. In any case this all seems to be a lot about nothing as the accident rates globally are so insignificant, why fix what isn't broken.