PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Undue Deference to Senior Officers
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2016, 16:46
Raikum

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Gus Walker

Gus Walker was great mates with my dad; both being huge rugby fans and Gus being a pre-war English rugby international. Anyway, me and my dad used to get invited once a year (this would be in the early 1970s) to Twickenham for the home international. These were far from sober affairs-I now realise I was there soley for driving duties and were often attended by some legendary characters such as Sir Geoffrey Tuttle-who was utterly charming to a callow, long-haired 18yr old, Douglas Bader-rather less so and Sir George Edwards of British Aerospace who organised the whole thing.

Anyway one year England were playing France and for my father, who was Welsh, it was crucial that France won as it mean, from memory that Wales would win the 5 nations. The French got the ball and raced for the line and my dad, unable to restrain himself leapt to his feet and shouted "Allez les Galles". This didn't go down at all well with Gus, who was sitting next to him, and we never got invited again! Later they both had a good laugh about it though. I remember Gus as a charming bundle of energy who was always interested in and had time for other people. A top man.