PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mismanagement of automation
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2016, 12:57
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Crab...

Of course I am not suggesting to never fly with the stick. My point was that when visual references are poor or non-existent, flying against the springs is the worst way to do it (on the 225 at least). When it is necessary to fly manually (the circumstances you describe plus loads more) the better way is to press the trim release and "fly it properly" in order to select the angle of bank or whatever, then release the trim and the aircraft holds that atttitude. This also applies to fore-aft cyclic which is required during takeoff, landing, changing speed etc.

The joy of doing it that way is that, as I said, you only need to make a control input to change bank/pitch/speed, once you have achieved the desired attitude you simply let go and the current attitude is then held precisely whilst you concentrate on the big picture.

It also eliminates any possibility of giving control to an upper mode with the cyclic not in trim, which is a recipe for disaster on many types.

Unfortunately there is a lot of resistance from ex-332L pilots who are not analytical enough to appreciate the fundamental difference between how ATT mode works on the 332L/L2 vs the 225. They like to wobble around I suppose.