PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Positioning Pilots
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2016, 11:45
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is still the very grey area about the true status of the so-called contractor. It will be resolved; there is too much coming into the open about such abuse.
There will be those who believe they should have employee status, but can't be bothered to campaign for it. There are those who prefer to keep hush hush about it and milk it for what they can. (however, the more modern structure makes that less appealing). So most are caught in the 'self-employed' grey area.
Simple question; pilot on a company employee contract has to position from home base to another in the network before & after duty. Is that travel time rostered as duty or time off? If it is considered duty time, and/or even FTL time, then who organises the roster & travel time? I'm sure you will find that for direct employees it is yes to duty time and at company cost and organisation. This is basic FTL application and employees' T's & C's. The FTL issue is safety related; the combined duty time also has a limit.
So, if employees enjoy these considerations why not contractors? Are they some how immune from FTL & duty time considerations? I understand contractors will not benefit from paid costs; that's their bed to lie in, but for duty/rest issues they should not be any different from any pilot uncharge of a company a/c.
A contractor has a common/preferred base. They even have a registered office which, for self-employed, could be considered their base. Sometimes they need to operate a considerable time & distance from either. How can all that be some ghostly apparition?
And the employ will also enjoy being paid for their positioning time, as it is duty. The contractor really is on a triple whammy.
If you disagree then justify it.