PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mismanagement of automation
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2016, 11:41
HeliComparator

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Link to EHEST doc

Thanks Geoffers, in fact I'd seen that before but missed the bit about trimming into turns. Yes it's definitely an AS332L dinosaur hangup. On the AS332L in basic AP mode there are two feedback components when flying against the trim in roll, a rate limiting (SAS) type element and another element trying to return the attitude to datum (wings level, normally) with the magnitude of the latter being proportional to the angle of bank. So in other words there is a pretty direct correlation between stick displacement and angle of bank, eg 1" for 20 deg bank, 2" for 40 deg (just making up those numbers to give the general idea). It is thus pretty easy to hold a steady angle of bank.

On the 225 if the latter element exists it is very weak. When you bank against the springs the bank angle tends to increase and you have to reduce the stick displacement to control it so that you can be at 45 deg bank and yet have the stick just a few mm displaced. It is very very easy to over bank and very difficult to hold a steady angle of bank.

Thus for IMC / night flight it is ABSOLUTELY AND DEFINITELY COMPLETELY THE WRONG WAY TO DO IT AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS.

As I've said before, why fly it like this anyway night / IMC anyway? - use HDG mode or higher.

Sigh! I suppose this is the problem with things like EHEST, they are composed of folk who no longer fly and are not fully up to speed with the latest tech.

At least it is only giving general advice on the matter and not making categorical statements. The rest of the doc is, in general, quite good I thought, if a little verbose.