PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mismanagement of automation
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2016, 11:31
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab

You will see from HC's comments that it's not just the 139 that has a problem with the concept of flying against the springs.

I appreciate that the 'tips' I referred to are neatly confined to the section on the basic AFCS and one could be forgiven for leaving it at that but the reality is that trying to get pilots to break with old habits that originate with this (out of date?) thinking means that if you find the time and space to specifically advise those using a basic AFCS not to trim into a turn then EHEST could do us all a favour and put a few 'tips' under the other sections too. The danger is that seeing those words - "do not trim into the turn" - provides a crutch for those whose preference is to stick with the techniques they grew up with.

If you take Bravo 73's comments as a measure of what is going on out there then clearly there are many 139 pilots beyond those that I see at work, who believe that the fly-through technique is preferred. Apart from any design issues there is the associated problem of mismanaging the upper modes whilst 'flying-through'.

The detailed section at the back of the booklet is all Airbus related but it doesn't say so. The AW 139 is different so it behoves the author to make that clear or at least to say that other types are different.

G.