PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Lady Who Flew Africa
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2016, 11:21
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, the Stearman has been brilliant! It's so much more robust and comfortable than a Gipsy Moth, or even a Tiger...

Must admit that I've absolutely no inside information on how this operation has been conducted: am merely an observer of the media reports and - occasionally - her website. Never having been involved in anything remotely comparable myself, I recognise the journey as an admirable achievement, and I shall no doubt watch and enjoy the forthcoming TV documentary.

I very much hope, however, that it will present her remarkable trek with a degree of candour that will not provoke aviation anoraks like us to shout at our televisions, or grossly deceive the general public into thinking that she has replicated Amy Johnson's flight as well as anyone could in the constraints of the present day.

The problem for the team now is that the advantages of encouraging - or at least allowing - the media to report this as a solo flight might be more than outweighed by the negative effects of any admission to the contrary. And the solo description lingers on. Following this morning's interview with Nick Robinson for BBC Radio 4's flagship news and current-affairs programme, Today, this is what the programme's website is currently reporting:

"British aviation adventurer, Tracey Curtis-Taylor has completed a 13,000 mile solo flight from Britain to Australia in a vintage open cockpit biplane. The 53 year-old set off from Hampshire in October. She has emulated the pioneering British aviator, Amy Johnson, who became the first woman to fly solo between the two countries in 1930."