PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 2
Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2016, 11:00
AirGuru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here guys. Even though the MAN route has slots, it doesn't necessarily mean that the route is meant for CWL, let's wait for an official announcement.

With regard to the Euro 2016 flights, it's a bit of a no brainer for BE to use additional aircraft to transport Welsh passengers to see the games, it's been a long time coming for Wales to get to a major championship, and I know for a fact that there will be a rather large following going to France in the Summer. We'll know more details of the Bordeaux and Toulouse routes next Wednesday when they are announced, but i can bet that there'll be a good few flights for each game ! It's also a chance for them to gain some good additional revenue on such a high yield service, which is effectively a charter operation, something which both FR and VY have latched onto at the airport, now operating routes for the Six Nations fixtures.

With regard to further BE expansion, I think that the current crop of routes needs to grow first, which may take some time, especially with current loadings, although it's hard to tell since it's the first time some of the routes have operated throughout the winter, and it's BE's first Winter back at the airport so figures are not going to be that great in what is known as the hardest time of the year when even EZY and FR make losses (Less this year due to a decreased fuel price). The true indicator of BE's growth at CWL will be looking at the routes from March onwards.

In other news, VY officially has PMI on sale throughout the months promised a while ago, which will be it's largest presence ever at CWL with 16x weekly departures at it's peak. TOM have officially dropped SSH due to it's situation, only now being operated from a hand full of UK airports, so this Summer and next Winter's schedules have been amended for that.

As of the new year, the departure lounge is undergoing a little revamp, with the duty free store being altered, to what I believe will be the standard kind of duty free at airports where you will have to walk through the store after security clearance. This is due for completion sometime in the coming weeks before the Summer season begins.

Finally, 2016 looks set to be CWL's best year for a considerable amount of time with growth and new services from a few operators all adding to the mix.