PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair & Positioning Pilots
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2016, 10:25
Meikleour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight time limitation schemes were introduced to limit excessive fatigue inherent in operating aeroplanes and time spent therein.
Thus, if an employer wishes to "passenger" an employee somewhere at it's behest then that time carries over towards duty time totals.
So, if one decides to "self position" ie. at your own convenience rather than the convenience of the employer - is this time now not contributing to any personal fatigue?
I freely admit that I know nothing of the practices within FR but any half good lawyer would have a field day with some of the ideas expressed on this thread.
It really is not that difficult! That is why many companies publish travel time criteria to their employees' main base. This allows them to show their "duty of care" to their employees. In other words - ignore at your peril!

This no longer affects me but I have seen too many colleagues worn down by excessive "commuting" not to mention been subjected to excessive "company behest" positioning by indifferent crew controllers myself.