PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire warnings - an intellectual debate on this contentious subject
Old 9th Jan 2016, 08:55
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outwest;

One of the other great bits of the S61 system was that in the event of a real fire the lights and aural warnings came on faintly to start with and then got brighter and louder. A hot gas leak, or a fire wire which an engineer had trodden on brought the whole on very quickly. The one real engine fire I've had was on a S61, as the lights got brighter and the lady started to shout the oil temps and pressures were going round the clocks, but the engine was making real sounds of distress. A look in the mirrror confirmed the worst (There was an awful lot of smoke) so it was shut down, fire the bottle and RTB. The first bottle coupled with the FRC shut down drills worked perfectly, unlike in this case; https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...990_G-BEID.pdf

I spend half my time now on the S76 and cannot get an answer from anybody as to why after firing the first bottle you only wait 10 seconds before firing the second. It just doesn't seem enough time to ensure the first bottle has had time to work.

SND