PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If you'd like to swap DESDI for LAM...
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2016, 08:21
AlanPardew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluelearjetdriver
To put another perspective on it, £4500-00 per month = AED 25,000-00 (approx.) per month......... then you have to pay more tax, rent, drive, eat and play, and the U.K. isn't cheap.
The £4500 is net, so there's no 'more tax' on that figure

Rent/mortgage is dramatically less than that in Dubai; for what you're paying £3k/mth in Dubai you'd pay £1k/mth in South London. So even though FO to FO looks like a 50% pay cut on paper, the gap in disposable income quickly narrows after housing costs

Drive - yes petrol is a lot more expensive in the UK, however the 5x increase in cost is, in my opinion, healthy balanced out by the 5x safer roads and drivers who know how to use lanes properly

Eat and play - I can't think of one thing that isn't at least 1/3 cheaper

Yes the UK isn't the cheapest place to live, but it's certainly more affordable than Dubai and when you go through costing, the pay leaves you about the same to spend on eating and playing as you put it.
And if you don't want to live in London, move to Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Italy, Holland etc etc and commute which is easy to do on a long haul fleet

There will be a huge amount of pilots applying, good luck to them and we can only hope this is the final straw for EK management to sit up and listen.

The biggest pull factor BA has for me is you can live near to Selhurst Park and watch the best standard of football in England.

Alan