PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angle of Attack
Thread: Angle of Attack
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2016, 00:56
jjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSD attempted a defence of a poor argument with;

Do I take it English is not your first language? If so, I apologise. One pulls to the limit... of AoA on the gauge, or 'G' if that is the limit you reach before the AoA limit. It will always be a lot less than full back stick!
It still needs work. You are still lacking a coherent argument, even after allowing for poor grammar. You can (must) do better. Stop digging and stop being rude.

SSD also stated:

The Mil fly AoA. So does the aeroplane. EVERY aeroplane.

Me? I'm with the Mil. And with the aeroplane.
So, why do your favorite 'chippy' (De Havilland Chipmunk, I presume, colloquial name) or the Bulldog T.Mk1, the mainstays for decades of primary/elementary training (can't vouch for the successors) not have an AoA indicator?
Could it be that' the Mil' ( again, I'll presume you mean The Military) teach AoA via ALL the other indicators including 'seat of your pants', did 'the Mil' teach you AoA? Are the Mil with YOU?

AOA is of course the engineers' term translated to the user ie pilot as... various different speeds (wait for it..) in different configurations/attitudes/power settings and other variables which may or may not be taught/required knowledge at different licence/rating levels.
And yes, the aircraft (or any other object not tied to the ground or in contact with it) knows it intimately without ANY training.

AOA indicators could be a fantastic 'thing' if only we knew how to make them cheap/understandable by all/necessary/mandatory, not necessarily in that order.

There are much better qualified people than me who have used them (see posts above) and the impression I get is that it is another instrument to be glanced at and ready to fail when relied upon, in isolation.
But we use lots of instruments that can and do fail so is AOA a concept not readily graspable by the many (and thus more relevant to the 'pushing the envelope for a living/hobby brigade') requiring advanced training?

Could we save considerably more lives merely by putting them in or spend much more money unnecessarily. The fact that we are without them suggests the latter.

Coat, Hat etc.

JJOE