PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Change needed in North American ATC
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2016, 15:55
kcockayne

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pratt X 3
Cannot agree with your point, I'm afraid. It was always stressed (& still is) when training in UK ATC, that the phrase " clear to land " meant exactly, & ONLY that. As I said before, I do not have experience of US ATC & it's nuances, & therefore cannot properly criticize its use of this phrase in the circumstances in which it is used; but, to my mind, I cannot justify its use in relation to more than one aircraft on the same, or crossing, runways at the same time.
A UK landing clearance relates to only one a/c at a time ( meaning that it is actually clear for that a/c alone to land). By definition, it cannot be physically possible for another a/c to be able to land on the same or crossing runway at the same time. I struggle to understand how such a clearance can be given to more than one a/c simultaneously. The only exception is a "land after"; & that can only be given to one other a/c AFTER the first a/c HAS landed.
Maybe the same desired effect of the US multiple landing clearance could be achieved by the use of a different ( non- confusing ) phraseology. As I have said, I won't criticise US ATC for this usage without understanding why it uses it. But, it does not seem to be a desirable practice to me.