PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angle of Attack
Thread: Angle of Attack
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2016, 11:35
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't recommend one of the current GA 'AoA' devices until someone has found a way of directly detecting actual difference between chord line and relative airflow and displaying it on a simple indicator.
BEagle, is this based upon your personal experience with a modern GA AoA system such as the Alpha Systems brand?

Having had experience with "real" (vane type) AoA systems, and earlier pneumatic AoA systems, I was startled to see how well the modern system worked.

That said, after hours of testing, and confirming good function, I was not sold that I needed it - but it worked!

Pull too hard in a loop exit in a Yak 52 and be even a tiny bit out of balance and BANG, you flick. No time for any info from your bum, and there isn't any anyway. Not all aeroplanes have gentlemanly pre-stall buffet like a Chippy does!
And not all aeroplanes are type certified (for stall warning characteristics) as a Chipmunk is. It seems there is a reason for that! A type certified GA aircraft will give the pilot tactile stall warning in all situations.