PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angle of Attack
Thread: Angle of Attack
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2016, 08:30
mikehallam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW My 1960's Jodel had the perfect aural device for the usually most dangerous deliberate slow phase of flight, i.e. approach & landing.
A simple leading edge vane & buzzer. You didn't have to look away to hear it begin to sound on the sweet spot for finals. After all it's wing airflow break away we're discussing, so it doesn't really matter at what angle.
mike hallam.

Originally Posted by Capn Bug Smasher
AOA indication in the million-dollar cockpit chez Smasher is my butt which also does sideslip. Bargain!

If my bum tells me my ship is languishing and the controls are labouring at the air (ok, my hands are in on this, too) then AOA is high. If my behind says the ship feels tight and buoyant, AOA is low and it's all good. I sense the aeroplane's motion, weight and response through my magic posterior which is absolutely art rather than science.

The further away you get from flying by the seat of your pants the closer you come to flying by numbers. By the time you reach jet fighters, airliners and tankers this justifies investing in a proper AOA gauge, one that gives you useful, calculated metrics like best range and endurance, rather than vague notions like "low" (aircraft feels firm beneath me), "high" (mushing around) and "dead" (clenched.)

Last edited by mikehallam; 8th Jan 2016 at 10:25. Reason: sp.