PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another CASA gab fest
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2016, 01:20
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Arm and others, I am afraid that you are accusing me of a negative viewpoint regarding CASA no matter what it does. This is not true.

Like all of us, I want a fair, efficient, proactive and safe regulatory regime.

My negativity comes from the simple fact of my experience as a corporate strategy consultant at Coopers and Lybrand, an MBA and as group general manager, of a reasonably sized IT systems integrator dealing with Government as well as a CEO of another business.

The problem with CASA is lack of trust, period, as described by Forsyth. WIthout trust,, nothing, and I mean nothing, can be achieved.

AVM. Skidmores problem is to restore trust, first and foremost. This cannot come from "consultation" and fine sounding words, the damage is too bad for a mea culpa from CASA and then business as usual. What is required to save CASA is what is called in consultancy speak "a circuit breaker event" or a reset event that indicates to all parties that the previous paradigm is now finished, kaput, over, ended - there is no more business as usual.

The circuit breaker is usually the removal of most of the management team and a new Board in business, and as CASA is a GBE - Government business enterprise the same logic applies to it. This is followed by a new strategic plan assembled by a new team with a new outlook.

The necessity for a circuit breaker event is that without it, CASA staff, the good ones anyway, will not give themselves permission to speak out about what needs to be done because under the old paradigm doing it is a career limiting move. Furthermore, industry is not going to step up to the plate if they see the same tired faces across the conference room table.

Forsyth and the appointment of Skidmore should have been the prelude of a major clean out of the senior management and the appointment of new and talented faces with a mandate for change. Unfortunately that didn't happen. Instead Skidmore and the Board were sold a dummy : the reorganisation of CASA, now underway, which is already a predictable failure if the same senior management remain.

The organisational design name for this phenomena is often called "Freeze" Unfreeze and refreeze" corporate culture is generally frozen in stone, the circuit breaker event - the removal of the senior management team and a round of new (and better) appointments is a signal for the organisation to "unfreeze" and open up to new possibilities, different ways of doing things, new ideas and so on. After a while, maybe Nine months or so, corporate culture then "refreezes" around the new paradigm. The Kennet Government in Victoria modelled this phenomena very quickly in its early days in office - things were so bad then that there was no opposition to the raft of changed the Kennet Government made.

Unless this circuit breaker event has occurred and I missed it, then there is no point in consultation, engagement or any other touchy feel stuff, the floggings will continue until that "circuit breaker", god forbid a smoking hole, galvanises Government into fixing this mess.

Last edited by Sunfish; 8th Jan 2016 at 01:38.