PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Plane for New Pilot
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2016, 00:21
jonn152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the information so far. Here are a few answers to questions asked:

I would probably be looking for a less complex airplane (i.e. fixed gear, prop, etc.) because I am new to flying. I actually have not even received my PPL yet, but expect to by the beginning of summer (unless el nino wipes us out). I would then pursue further certifications.

I live in the central valley of California, so I would probably have more flying days than in other places. I know I won't be able to commute to work everyday, in fact it has been rather stormy lately (finally). But I have a Prius I usually drive and have a second car I would park at the second airport to drive the 5 miles more to work. Flying to work would not be a necessity as I would drive on days not suitable for flying, it would just be more fun.

Budget I had stated as about 50k-150k for the plane itself, depending on plane condition, age, avionics, etc. I could go higher if needed to but I would like to stay in that range because flying isn't the only thing I want to do! I am running numbers in my excel sheet for maintenance, fuel, hangar, insurance, annuals, overhauls, fuel, oil, etc. for each aircraft. I do not want to get into an airplane over my experience level flying or comfort level financially.

The Grumman looks like a great possibility, I am going to start a new page on my excel for that as well as the 182. Thank you for the advice. I think the Zenair 701 may be a bit too slow, as other LSA type aircraft has a higher cruise speed, but thank you for the suggestion.

I know that I can't have everything on my list, which is why I asked for a unicorn as well! Just trying to make my list of planes that would fit my mission. That way, after I get my PPL, I can start renting the acceptable models with a CFI who knows the plane and seeing which one I prefer. I would then rent to build time in the model I like before purchasing, if possible.

What about a Diamond DA20? Does anyone have experience with this aircraft? I have read it would meet most of my wants except the IFR capability, but it can be difficult to steer on the ground due to the front caster wheel.

One last thing, what do people think of the timeline? Am I out of my mind for thinking I can build my time and buy an airplane by the end of summer?

"You are either spending time to save money or spending money to save time"