PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2016, 21:43
Danny42C

Geriaviator,
...The three previous posts relating to the Munster Rhubarb are Jack Stafford's only reference to his hundreds of sorties...
I adopted a similar policy here myself, describing one operational dive in great detail: this could then stand for every other dive I made, and it avoided continuous repetition. Not that his experiences in his many later fighter "sweeps" were merely repetitive - they would be packed with more excitement in a single memoir than in all of my sorties in Burma put together, but the "pattern" would probably be much the same in most cases.

Again it shows the sudden twists in fortune which were the lot of every serviceman in war (or in this case, immediately after the war's end). From life under canvas to the luxury of a well-built and well furnished Luftwaffe officers' Mess, with all the makings of a Gliding Club to hand, it made for a welcome "cherry on the cake" at the end.

The FW-44 looks very like (and would likely perform like) the Stearman, but the Fw-56 does not look like an "advanced" trainer to me yet it was so (Wiki). But Wiki says the translation of "Stösser" is "Goshawk", not "Falcon".

Danny.