PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mismanagement of automation
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2016, 18:48
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non PC

I don't think I said NEVER use it and even went along with the idea that in the hands of the experienced it is not a problem as they have worked out when it can be handy, as you say. They are also fully at home in the 139 by this time.

The problem comes with teaching it. The times when it is appropriate are nuanced and applied to gain benefit not just because 'I always fly this way'. If you have taught those coming from a background flying Russian helicopters then I'm sure you know what I mean. I believe it is one step too far in the context of a very tight syllabus that only just manages to cope with the marginal candidate and is severely tested when teaching via an interpreter. The pressure of learning to fly in a glass cockpit with 3-axis AP/FD with FMS already makes the learning curve pretty steep.

My recent experience with the two recurrent training pilots convinces me that I am on the right track. In the context of autopilot mismanagement the 'fly-through' is a trap waiting to capture those unfamiliar with the implications of an mistake in IMC conditions. As we know most of our charges are most definitely unfamiliar with flight in IMC.

As I said earlier I am not setting myself up as an expert on this matter, I only wish to pass on the benefit of my experience and seek to hear the views of others. As I was taught to fly this way I assumed everybody else was too. Maybe I was wrong.

G.