PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DONCASTER SHEFFIELD
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2016, 17:19
ATNotts

Received 288 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Balair
Should Amazon's airfreight trials become a permanent operation then it will be interesting to see how it is rolled out across the UK/Europe.
Amazon's flights initially started using EMA for about a week before switching to DSA, I would imagine due to its proximity to their new facility in Doncaster.
However the new Coalville hub, at nearly 1.5 million sq. ft. will become the largest in the UK (and possibly Europe?) so if the proposed flights are to become a hub and spoke type operation then they may well choose to base them on EMA once this new facility is completed, as it will be more central to the rest of Amazon's UK fulfilment centres.
Its location would also be advantageous if, as has been mooted, Amazon were to offer their transportation services to others in competition with the likes of DHL/UPS etc. whose hubs are at EMA.
As always time will tell and no doubt incentives will play a part in the final decision!

Balair
Sorry to rain on Donny's parade, but I do agree with this - it is logical, given the proximity of Coalville to EMA, and the fact the EMA is already the major UK hub for all but one of the major integrators - and thus carriers for Amazon. I can't see the logistical case for using Doncaster-Sheffield in this case.