PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2016, 09:06
Xercules

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Identity Checks on joining during WWII

Danny (or anybody else who has the knowledge),

Please can you tell me what identity checks were carried out on individuals when joining up during the war? Did they rely solely on your having an identity card? And if that was the case what checks were there of identity claims for the 1939 registration?

I ask because we have been researching family history and there is a lot of confusion with my mother-in-law's past. She appears to have been born with one surname and then 7 years later her "mother" married. My mil joined thevWAAF in about 1943/4 as a parachute packer then PTI and then married in 1947 under the surname of her "adoptive father" so presumably she had been in the WAAF with that surname but there is no apparent record of the change so was it legal?

Unfortunately, now at 93 she is unable to answer any questions on the subject and we are left researching apparently very incomplete records. Any background help might assist in clearing some of the questions. However, to date it has seemed seemed that every answer merely creates even more questions.

In advance, thank you for anything you remember.