PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic MPL Scheme 2016
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2016, 07:33
funkyt111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Group Exercise

Hey folks,

Let me offer some advice with regards to the group exercise.

The exercise isn't about whether your talking too much or talking to little or finding the right balance. Nor is it about monitoring the time and the chipping in with the odd contribution here and there to score brownie points. You are about to embark on a very rigorous selection process and they are looking for well rounded individuals.

The group exercise is simply about demonstrating your ability to work effectively as part of a team. Keep CRM in mind. Successful teamwork encompasses a wide array of different components with communication being just one. Leadership is another fundamental aspect so there is nothing at all wrong with taking the lead but if your going to lead then lead and do so effectively and make sure you are entirely clear on what leadership is. I've always led during my group exercises but this doesn't mean that I've been overbearing, dominant or talked excessively. I've listened, contributed and supported my team by encouraging feedback and opinions from the quieter members whilst also recognising other team members ideas and contributions. Also, don't be afraid to disagree with the team even if your are heavily outnumbered. By persuading others to see things from your view point can score you a lot of points but don't disagree for the sake of disagreeing.
From the word go, look engaged, set the tone and ensure that you all share a common goal. Help keep the team on track by re-emphasising the objectives of the assignment throughout the exercise especially if you feel that the team are deviating off track.

On top of all of this, smile and enjoy it! The more you immerse yourself in the exercise the better your likely to perform!

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your assessments.