PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Part 61 conundrum for Australian ATPL applicants
Old 7th Jan 2016, 01:39
Lead Balloon

Received 445 Likes on 224 Posts
I have no idea. It would be interesting to find out, though, because I anticipate that the accident and incident rate of pilots from countries that have the test will not be statistically significantly different than pilots from countries that do.

If there are ATPL holders out there who:

- satisfied the experience requirements by tooling around in a 210 (or 152)
- did not have to do a flight test for the ATPL, and
- now exercise the privileges of the ATPL and meet all the recurrent requirements for doing so,

what would you conclude about the nexus between safety and the test/kind of experience?

It's a bit like asking: How many countries don't have the death penalty? The death penalty exists in some places as a consequence of intuition and politics, not any analysis of the extent, if any, to which the death penalty has a causal effect on crime rates.

Given that this is all supposed to be about safety, I'm trying to find out the data showing a causal connection between the ATPL test and safety or, to put that another way, data showing the existence and extent of the risk that is mitigated by the ATPL test.