PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas 787 recruitment for cadetship
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2016, 01:30
hotnhigh

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
So Qantas is looking at record profits.... Last time they did that the gfc was just around the corner. Prior to that SARS was good at crippling promotion.
Looking at the markets today, well, is it possible for GFC MK II to be only a short time away?
That aside, I'm not sure why the euphoria surrounding the imminent(?) recruitment.
Qantas still has 200+ outside who will come back. The hurrah about the 787 amounts to 7-8 aircraft in the near term, till 2018. In that time Jumbos are supposedly going to wither. Alan Joyce has not ordered one new aircraft for qantas in his tenure. (Bonuses all round!) And yes qantas is desperate for capacity, however, this is not the silver bullet that people are suggesting.
Sure more 787s will come, but there either needs to be a dramatic shift in deliveries to increase the total fleet size or the status quo remains.
Joining within a year of Ansett's collapse, I don't have seniority for a long haul FO position. That's fine, domestic fo is cool, but realistically I don't see that changing for a long time, no matter how you want to cut it.
Twenty years to command....tell him he's dreaming.