PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Plane for New Pilot
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2016, 21:46
jonn152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Plane for New Pilot

Hi guys,

I am looking into purchasing my first single piston plane. I have done a lot of research but am wanting input from others who may know types of planes that are good for new pilots or ones to stay away from.

I would mainly be using the aircraft to commute about 140 miles to work, but would also be using it for pleasure with my wife on occasion.

I want what everyone wants, great gph burn rates, low maintenance costs, and low overall ownership in a solid plane. A unicorn would be cool too

A few things I would like to see in the plane, but nothing is set in stone:
120-150 knot cruise speed (I would pay more for faster)
5gph burn rates (or comparable based on a higher speed)
50k-150k "ish." I would spend higher if needed on a newer aircraft with newer avionics.

I have looked into three different routes to go when purchasing a plane:

1. Purchase an older certified aircraft like the one I am building hours on (Piper Warrior or Cessna 172)
I believe the pro's would be an aircraft that most mechanics can easily work on, lower purchase price, and possible IFR certification I could utilize to obtain my instrument rating at a future time. At this time all of my flying would be VFR, but I would like to punch through low hanging clouds in the future (nothing intense like flying through storms).
Con's seem to be older aircraft may have more issues and have older avionics. Also, burn rates and speed seem to be lower than other options.

2. Going with a newer homebuilt or building an aircraft myself (like a Vans RV-9)
Pros for this route would include the plane would be newer, have glass panels, have the possiblity of IFR, and would be faster then the production aircraft.
Con's would be it may have more problems due to the build. Not sure about maintenance for these aircraft or insurance costs.

3. Purchase a LSA (Like a Flight Design, Renegade Falcon LS, Vans RV-12)
Pro's seem to be inexpensive to operate and maintain, most are newer with glass panel avionics.
Con's seem to be no IFR ever, slower aircraft (although Renegade claims it can cruise at 120 knots at altitude), most use a Rotax engine which not all mechanics are familiar with yet, and they are light so any cross wind landings will be difficult.

Let me know your thoughts or experiences with any of this. I am new to the field so any information on my pro's and con's that are incorrect or you can add to I would appreciate it.